On the night of the 2 to 3 August all the remaining Roma in the so called “Gypsy family camp” - 2,897 men, women, and children – were taken to gas chamber V and exterminated. Their bodies were burned in pits next to the crematorium. On the 2 August 2014, ternYpe and its partners will gather around 1.000 young Roma and non-Roma from over 25 countries to participate in the commemoration acts in Auschwitz-Birkenau. The programme includes the visit of young people and survivors to the Auschwitz Birkenau Museum, and a commemoration ceremony at the monument of the murdered Roma and Sinti. We aim to foster a culture of remembrance and build a common historical memory. In a moment when few survivors remain, young people today take the responsibility to carry the memory of the victims of the Nazi regime for the future generations.
Commemoration ceremony of the 70th anniversary of the liquidation of the “Zigeunerlager”
The Association of Roma in Poland and the Documentation and Culture Centre of German Sinti and Roma organize on August 2, 2014 the commemoration ceremony of the 70th anniversary of the liquidation of the “Zigeunerlager” in the former concentration camp Auschwitz-Birkenau. The ceremony starts at 11.45 and takes place at the Roma and Sinti Extermination Memorial.
Invitation 70th Anniversary commemoration
Youth commemoration acts
ternYpe and its partners organize several small commemoration acts of and for young people in former concentration camp Auschwitz-Birkenau, which will take place between 2 and 4pm. The program will be announced soon.
Media accreditation is required for August 2nd, in particular for any audiovisual documentation. Please check the media section and contact us: email@example.com
Program of 2 August
- 09.00 Optional: visit of the Auschwitz-Museum (5 English tours)
- 10.30-11.00 Arrival of the ternYpe group in Birkenau / Auschwitz II
- 11.00 Walk to the Roma and Sinti Extermination Memorial
- 11.45 Participation in commemoration ceremony
- 13.30 End of the ceremony, break
- 14.00 Youth commemoration act at Crematorium V (Reading names of victims)
- 14.30 Youth Commemoration act around pont
- 14.45 Guided tours in Birkenau / Auschwitz II (various languages)
- 15.30 Transfer to Auschwitz Museum
- 16.00 Guided tours in Auschwitz Museum
- 16.30 Departure of 150 participants that attend the Requiem in Philharmonic
- 18.00 End of the visit
- 19.30 Requiem, Cracow Philharmonic